Thursday, February 2, 2012

Helping someone in need

  In the 60′s, the Beatles hit the chart with a blockbuster song called “Help”.  Here’s an excerpt from the lyrics…
   And now my life has changed in oh so many ways,
   My independence seems to vanish in the haze.
   But every now and then I feel so insecure,
   I know that I just need you like I’ve never done before.
  Help me if you can, I’m feeling down
  And I do appreciate you being round.
  Help me, get my feet back on the ground,
  Won’t you please, please help me.
  Although the lyrics weren’t likely aimed at a senior or a loved one with health care needs, it’s incredible how fitting they are.  Very few people want to admit to needing assistance and giving up their independence.  In fact, most will state “I’m fine.  If I need anything, I’ll call ‘a family member’“.  Over time, the family member takes on more and more responsibility until they can go no further.  At that point, both the caregiver and the recipient are being severely disadvantaged.  Health, relationships, attitudes, etc., all tend to decline.  It can be difficult to break the cycle of an individual that depends on a family caregiver.  Typically, the caregiver feels guilty about saying no to any requests.  But, in the interest of all involved, a change should be made since continuing isn’t in anyone’s best interest.
  If the above scenario sounds familiar, for either yourself or someone you know, call us.  We can help you transition out of this cycle and Make Life Easier for everyone involved.  For us, helping out is a passion, and we enjoy what we do.  To learn more, visit our website at  www.LKNHomecare.com, or call today.  704-909-7958

No comments:

Post a Comment